The New Shepard space vehicle is ideal for microgravity physics, gravitational biology, technology demonstrations, and educational programs. You’ll also have the opportunity for Earth, atmospheric, and space science research.
Payloads are installed in the capsule, supported by Blue Origin's unique payload avionics system and software, including:
- Robust control systems
- Data storage
- Electrical power
- Vehicle telemetry data
- Benchtop development units for programming in your lab
Research and Education Mission Applications
The New Shepard Research and Education Missions (REM) host a wide variety of payloads. Possibilities include microgravity sciences, space life sciences, Earth and space sciences, land use, education and public outreach, technology demonstration, space systems development and Technical Readiness Level (TRL) raising demonstrations, just to name a few.
Primary Capabilities Include:
- Ability to frequently launch your payloads, and ultimately payload operators, to space on a suborbital trajectory
- A high-volume cabin able to accommodate multiple experiments and ultimately, researchers
- Standard interfaces to mount experiments and provide power, cooling, command and control, and video/data recording.
- Rapid post-landing access by ground personnel to time-sensitive payloads
Elements of the New Shepard space vehicle are being tested extensively, both on the ground and during uncrewed test flights.
The flight test program continues to build experience with the New Shepard system in an uncrewed configuration, leading up to the day when Blue Origin is ready for astronauts to climb on board.
- Multiple flights per year
- As human flights begin, you'll also be able to fly with your payload for hands-on experimentation
- You own full rights to your data from Blue Origin's private platform
- Accommodates payloads from a few ounces up to 50 lbs
Integrating Your Payload Into the New Shepard Space Vehicle
The very same NanoRacks you know from the International Space Station will be with you every step of the way. NanoRacks will ensure successful payload integration to the New Shepard vehicle as you prepare for suborbital research.
Single Payload Container
Double Payload Container
25 lbs / 11.34 kg
50 lbs / 22.68 kg
1.73 ft3 / 49 liters
3.61 ft3 / 102 liters
Approx. Interior Dimensions
20.3 x 16.5 x 9.0 inches / 51.6 x 41.8 x 22.9 cm (less hinge area)
20.3 x 16.5 x 18.7 inches / 51.6 x 41.8 x 47.4 cm (less hinge area)
28 VDC, 200 W peak
32 GB on-board data storage with synchronized flight parameter measurements; plus an additional 128 GB video storage provided for post-flight download
Blue Origin software available to configure experiment command sequence, such as turning on sensors and other apparatus when microgravity is reached
Launch To Suborbital Space With Blue Origin
Get Started With Our Inquiry Form
To fully inquire about launch opportunities with Blue Origin via DreamUp, please click the button below. One of our experts will be reaching out to you soon!
Launch Schedule 2016
Right now Blue is in the test and development mode, so please stay tuned as we better understand the launch schedule and prices for suborbital flights in 2016. Be sure to join our mailing list to stay up to date on all DreamUp launch opportunities and contests.